Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mar 20, 2013 Spring?!



Before trimming. . .

. . .and after trimming.





















Monday, 3/18.  A very long day.  Nice sun, but nasty wind.  Our road was 1/3 bare ground and 2/3 ice/snow.  The main canyon road was 2/3 bare ground and 1/3 ice.  JB's doctor's appointment was at 9:10 and mine was 10:15, so he dropped me off at Jack-In-The-Box where I had breakfast and read my book until it was time to walk a block to the Foot and Ankle Clinic.  My problem was easily and quickly taken care of, then I walked two blocks to where JB was having blood drawn for his yearly labs.  We picked up a prescription, got our mail, went to the post office to send our mail and headed for home.  Finally made it back at 2:00 pm.  The dogs must have slept the whole time we were gone, as nothing was amiss.  The wind was still howling, and each time I thought it might die down, it would revive.

After a very late lunch (we both had energy bars on the drive home), we napped for an hour.  Then JB took the dogs for a walk without me.  I had been out in the wind enough for the day.  I even took firewood off the porch so I wouldn't have to go out any further.

I made a big pot of chili and some cornbread for dinner, after which we watched the next two episodes of "True Blood".  I really do not care for it.  Just too. . . too. . .

Tuesday, 3/19.  Light overcast and 18.  The sun was just barely able to peek out from the clouds a few times during the day, and our high was 29.

Had to face Sunday's and yesterday's dishes in the morning, but there was just no way we were going to do them after getting home on Monday.  We always wash the dishes in the morning so we don't have to use the generator.

After lunch we spent a few hours trimming branches and cutting some small  trees that were crowding on the west end of the south ridge.  JB used MAX to pull a large tree that was already down to the splitter.  Then he dragged a large pile of branches down, but on the third trip it sounded like a chain came loose inside MAX.  So we untied the branches and JB coaxed MAX slowly back to the house.  We will have to check out the problem tomorrow.  I think poor MAX just needed a complete overhaul, and we're finding his issues one by one.

After that workout, I sat on my bench on the north ridge for a while.  The perfect place to unwind and relax.

Yesterday I asked the foot doctor if there was anything I could do about my sweaty feet.  We're talking about constantly walking around in puddles.  He said to do the same thing you do for sweaty under arms - use anti-perspirant!  Seems logical but certainly I not something I would have thought of.  He said to use the dry kind and just be sure to mark it "for feet only"!  Well, I tried it today and, lo and behold, it works!  (And why would I think it wouldn't?)

Snow began falling around 5:30 pm.  We are supposed to get a couple of inches, but I am fairly certain it will be fickle like most March snow.  Arriving like it's going to stay, but leaving within a day or two.  Dinga sat out in it, celebrating, while Jesse slept on our bed.

Wednesday, 3/20.  It is 23 and all is white again.  We have 4" along with fog, and it is still lightly snowing.  JB is out cleaning off the panels as I write.

Thought for the day:  Freedom does not always win.  This is one of the bitterest lessons of history.  A.J.P. Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment