Friday, March 15, 2013

Mar 15, 2013 Snow Mold



Digging the trench for the
drain pipe


Wednesday, 3/13.  Same weather, overcast in the morning and sunny in the afternoon.  A little warmer though with a high of 43.  Jesse loves the fact that there is so much less snow now.  First thing in the morning, he is hot on the trail of whatever creatures have strolled across the property overnight.

Talked to Nene.  She is getting out for breakfast often, knowing that she simply cannot sit at home.  Sounds like she is keeping busy.  Certainly not one to sit around and mope, she is meeting this situation head on.  She is amazing .

After 9+ days, the Iditarod is over.  Love the photos of the dogs in the winning team with their leis of yellow roses.  This has to be one of those competitions where just being part of it is the adventure.  JB would love to be able to attend it some year and be a volunteer.  I think it's the last item left on his bucket list.

I finished my Easter cards for the kids, and then went outside after lunch to help JB dig a trench for a drain pipe from the north side of the house to the grove.  Got it installed and it works great.

There is lots of snow mold outside because the snow is melting so fast.  It is all over the exposed ground where the snow has melted in the past day or two.  Didn't think much of it until just after dinner when my eyes got to burning so badly that I couldn't keep them open.  Had to mostly listen to "Warehouse 13" instead of watch it.  Fortunately we have started from the beginning again, so it's not completely new.

Thursday, 3/14.  It was overcast and 40 when we got up, full of the threat of rain, although often Up Here, that is an empty threat, with all the moisture landing on the nearby mountains and ridges. 

I cleaned out my side of our bedroom closet finally.  I tend to just toss things in there, and can hardly get to my clothes.  Also finished Melancholy Baby, my second Robert B. Parker book in three days.  JB made a run with MAX down the road to his Jeep without the dogs.  He plans to go Down There tomorrow for groceries and mail.  We both have doctor's appointments on Monday, but there will be no time to shop then.  The road is very slushy and he had a hard time making it up from the hair pin.

I have learned in the past five years that being retired takes a lot of self discipline if you are going to get the most out of it.  I never did have much of that, especially when it comes to chocolate.  However, if you are doing what you like to do and living the life you want to, it doesn't seem like self discipline should be an issue.  But it is.  There are always things involved that you do not particularly want to do but need getting done.  And therein lies the tale.  Motivation becomes the factor.  Up Here I am easily motivated to do what I must, but I just don't think I would be Down There where everything seems so easy and available.  There are so many things that need to be done when you are working and raising a family, but when you retire, suddenly there aren't.  It becomes strictly up to you.  Not as easy as it sounds.

I didn't go outside today until I brought in wood just before our afternoon walk and, within less than a minute, my eyes were stinging and my nose was running.  Not an enjoyable feeling . . . or a pretty sight.  The only things that seems to make my eyes feel better is to keep them closed for at least a half an hour.  Great excuse for a nap.

Am taking stick wood from the porch beginning today, but I won't be getting any regular firewood there as I want to use as much wood in the woodshed as possible, since we will be redoing the way it is stacked.  Front to back instead of side to side.

Friday, 3/15.  It is clear and 32 outside this morning.  The road should be much firmer for JB this morning going down.  The challenge will to get back up.  I am going to try wearing a mask, like we did for the smoke last Fall, when I go outside.  Hopefully that will help with the snow mold.

Thought for the day:  When they come for your guns, give them your ammo first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment