Friday, March 29, 2013

Mar 29, 2013 Loose Nut(s) & Pizza



Bark path over the mud

Wednesday, 3/27.  A very lazy morning, reading papers and magazines.  Was another beautiful day with a high of 41.

I figure I save at least two quarts of water a day that I am pouring into the rain barrels.  If I average that for the 200 days of late Fall, Winter and early Spring, I will have 100 gallons for outside plants in the summer!  And that is one of the things I have learned while living Up Here, how fragile our natural resources are and how easy it is to treat them tenderly.

Since Easter is on Sunday, I opened the Peeps I bought so they can get nice and stale by then.  The only way to eat them.

JB used the step-down socket joiner that he bought for his impact wrench on MAX's nut and off it came!!  I am sure that and all the WD-40 helped too.  I'm sure there is more than one loose nut up here. . .

Clouds moved in and we had a couple short sprinkles after 3:00 pm, but that was it for precipitation.

Watched the last two episodes of season one of Downton Abbey after dinner.  Can hardly wait to get season two.  Even JB is hooked.  Then we stepped out on the porch to listen to an owl.  The dogs came out too and were off in a flash.  Dinga was soon back, but we could hear Jesse barking way off the south ridge.  He still wasn't back by the time we were ready for bed, so I put on my snow pants, boots and coat.  Grabbed the gun and flashlight, and went out looking for him.  The full moon had just risen over the peak and was HUGE!  Like a pale harvest moon.  I could hear Jesse barking in the distance and he obviously was ignoring my calls, so I just went back to the house.  I was going to read my book til he came back, but barely got started before he scratched on the door.

We had just read an article in the Wenatchee paper about the local wolf pack in the area, so having Jesse go off like that was a bit unnerving.  It has been officially named the Wentachee Pack.  Oh, well.  That's part of life on the mountain.  And, yes, we would be devistated if something happened to our dogs, but we moved into bears, cougars, coyotes and wolves territory, not the other way around.  We knew that from the very beginning. 

Thursday, 3/28.  Was 30 with dark, heavy clouds about, but they must have dropped all their moisture to the south and west of us.  We ended up with a lot of blue sky and a high of 43.

JB bought his fishing and hunting licenses while he was Down There on Tuesday.  Now that he is 70, they are much less expensive.  His fishing license was only $7.  He also bought a pass to all state lands and parks, which was only $30 for us as seniors.  And he got a punch card for salmon, and a tag for a cougar, just in case. . .

I brought down some wood from the south slope.  Then moved some of the firewood that was outside the wood shed to the empty space inside.  The snow has begun to melt over the stack of bark, so I made a short path with some of the pieces to the woodshed enclosure.  It is impossible to skirt the mud when walking from there to the house.

JB worked on MAX and was finally able to get the broken axle out, but had to saw the end of to do so, as it had become a little flared.  Tomorrow we will attack getting out the rod that runs between the two middle axles.  That ought to be fun.

After that he worked on finishing our taxes and will take all that info to town next time he goes, so he can use it to get our senior property tax discount.

I have always been fascinated with the concept of other dimensions and realities, and was thrilled when books on such ideas came out in the 1970's that the average person could understand, instead of just physicists.  In looking back on things that have happened in my past compared to our life right now, I am beginning to think that our future can influence our past, and not simply the other way around.  And, why not, if it is all happening at once.  If there is only "now" and it's just our experience on earth that needs "time", then why not.  Makes sense to me.  My bond with wolves is just one of these things.  One only needs to look at the art on our walls and the large tattoo on my calf.

Friday, 3/29.  It is clear and 30 this morning with a beautiful Easter weekend in the forecast.  Supposed to be our warmest weather so far this year, so we may get up into the 50's.

A footnote to you Illinoians, while living there we ate at Uno's, Due's and several other notable Chicago pizzarias and absolutely loved their pizza.  However, I gained 17 pounds in my five years there on Midwest carbs.  Fortunately I dropped them all in my first five months living at Rose Camp.  I rest my case.

Thought for the day:  The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be filled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.  People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance.  Cicero, 55 BC  (So, evidently we have learned nothing in the past 2068 years.)

No comments:

Post a Comment