Monday, March 2, 2015

March 2, 2015 Cleaning Up

JB leaving to plow the road on
Friday afternoon.

The south ridge on our Saturday afternoon walk.



















Friday 2/27. About 9:30 am, JB slogged through the snow up to the south ridge to clean off the solar panels.  Now that they have been tilted 1/3 up, the snow doesn't slide off so easily.  He also measured and by then we had received 5" of snow.

Then we put the plow back on Miss Kitty.  I got the snow blower out and cleared the parking area and paths.  After lunch JB left to plow the road, which took him about an hour.  Then he worked another half hour clearing the south ridge and the drive around the house.

Snow slipped off the roof all day, landing in dull thuds.  The clouds quit dropping snow on us at about noon, then the fog began moving in, alternating with light snow for most of the afternoon.  Our high for the day was 35 and we received a total of 6".  By 4:00 pm the snow and fog cleared so that we could see Down There.  Looked like it just rained in town and the snow level was about 1800 ft.

Our new water filter is working just fine.  The container is a heavy plastic, which I could taste at first, but now it is just like bottled water.  We are filtering all the water we use now, except for what we wash the dishes in.

We watched the first Fast and Furious movie this evening.  I got it for $2.00 just to see what all the fuss is about.  It was entertaining, but not sure I'll buy any of the others.

Saturday 2/28. A brisk and brilliant morning with a clear sky and temperature of 25.  Rainbows of crystal dust lightly fell from the trees.  As the sun began to warm the snow on the branches, the "dust" turned to snow bombs, which fell most of the day.

Sandy called and we had a nice long chat.  It's been in the 70's this past week in Santa Rosa, but they still haven't had any rain for a while.  She told me that Leonard Nimoy passed away yesterday.  He prospered, but I wish he had lived a bit longer.  What a guy!

I finished reading Dean Koontz's Cold Fire.  Excellent!  One of my favorites of his.  Then I dove right in to his Twilight Eyes.

JB drove MAX down our road to even out some ridges he had created yesterday while plowing.  Like the Energizer bunny, MAX just keeps on going. . .  When he got back home, JB lay down for a long nap to try to ward off the cold he feels coming on.

This evening we started watching season five of Downton Abbey.  This is the same season that is now airing on TV, so we will probably be done watching it before Sandy is.  So nice to be back in 1920's England.

Sunday 3/1. It was 25 with a mostly clear sky this morning, except for a few wispy clouds to the north.  JB has had a taste for biscuits and gravy, so that is what we had for breakfast.  He baked the biscuits and cooked the sausage, while I, being the saucier in the family, made the gravy.  Everything turned out so good!

After breakfast and washing the dishes, JB drove Miss Kitty down our driveway just to the hairpin corner to plow some more.  Two trips, and the dogs gleefully joined him.  I brought in the fire wood, the sled gliding so much more easily again in the snow.

My cousin, Suzann, called to thank me for the shadow box I had made for her birthday which is today.  I used a bird's nest I had found with feathers and dogs' hair woven into it, along with a moss covered branch and some bark.  Am so glad she liked it.  I always like whatever people make for me, but I am never quite sure how my hand-made gifts will be received.

I finally made a banana-chocolate chip coffee cake with some very ripe bananas.  One of our favorite treats.

Unless JB is feeling better, I will be going Down There tomorrow to close out our box at the UPS store and run some errands, including going to the Assessor's office about our property taxes.  JB was going to go down on Saturday, but with the snow, we decided against it.  And since his cold is threatening to settle into his lungs, I will probably be going.  So when JB was done plowing today, he took the plow off Miss Kitty.

By 3:00 pm, the sky was overcast.  Our high for the day was 39 and the snow is definitely beginning to melt.

Monday 3/2. It is 32 and lightly snowing tiny flakes this morning.  JB is feeling fine, so he will be going Down There today.

Thought for the day: If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk and spoons make people fat. (Seen on a t-shirt)





No comments:

Post a Comment