Friday, March 6, 2015

March 6, 2015 A Hike, Baking Soda & The Dentist

Grouse tracks in the snow.



Wednesday 3/4. Not wanting to waste this glorious day after spending most of yesterday inside, we went for an outing half-way down the short-cut to my brother's cabin.  JB drove Miss Kitty slowly while the dogs and I walked.  We turned on to the virgin snow on the short-cut that had hardly began to melt.  Well, virgin except for deer, dog and grouse tracks.  I loved the hike down, not only because it was such a gorgeous day, but also because I knew I would get a ride back up.  Plus the outing took my mind off tomorrow's visit to the dentist.

We stopped at the flat spot, walked around a bit and enjoyed the different view.  The dogs energetically explored, Jesse going further while Dinga stayed closer to us.  

Back home, the dogs slept.  I read my book.  And JB worked on his new computer.  The UPS package he picked up on Monday contained an external hard drive on which to store data files from his old computer.  Mainly records of his 3000+ Magic cards.

I just have to say how much I love baking soda!  It can clean anything, especially my sinks.  When I think how much money I have spent over the years on cleansers. . .  And there is nothing in the soda that is harmful to the environment.  So glad the general outlook is changing from the "Oh, look what science and commerce has to offer now!", back to what is natural.  When I go shopping, I am amazed at the array of products on the shelves that we simply do not need.

And speaking of white bread, I still buy some regular bread for myself but it is usually whole grain.  However sometimes I just need a good white bread.  So I go for the names like Cannon Beach Milk & Honey.  Unfortunately a rose by any other name. . .

We finished watching season five of Downton Abbey this evening and I am looking forward to watching it at least three or four more times.

Thursday 3/5. It was 35 with a light overcast this morning.  "D" (dentist) day.  I wasn't as nervous as if I was going to get a tooth pulled, and the whole affair actually went off quite well.  I had never had any work done at this office and I was amazed at all the hi-tech gadgets.  A dental hygienist gave me the shot and I barely felt it at all.  The rest of the appointment went just as well and in less than two hours I walked out with a porcelain crown that feels perfect.  Woo Hoo!

JB did some shopping while I was in the chair and was waiting for me when I was done.  Back home I had a light lunch and took a long nap.  

The overcast had cleared a bit by mid day and our high for the day was 46.  So far the snow has been melting very slowly with very little slush or mud, however the above-normal temps predicted for the next several days may put an end to that and bring a revival of mud season.  Looks like March is coming in like a lamb.  Makes me wonder what Mother Nature has planned for its going out party.

Friday 3/6. The sky is overcast again and the temp is 40 this morning.  We have been seriously talking about building a root cellar so today we might do some serious scouting for a place to put it.

Thought for the day: Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Rabindranath Tagore


1 comment:

  1. And plain white distilled vinegar...the OTHER magic cleaner. :)

    ReplyDelete