Wednesday, March 4, 2015

March 4, 2015 Sunshine, Walks & Science


Dinga on Monday morning, welcoming
the snow and barking away the critters.
Lots of snow Up Here, but all melted Down There.




















Monday 2/2. JB didn't need to leave as early as we usually do as one of his errands was to pick up a package at the UPS station that doesn't open until 3:00 pm.  So he pulled out at 9:45 am after a big breakfast of leftover biscuits and gravy.  The light snow was still gently falling, although it stopped soon after he left.

The dogs and I went on the morning walk, and then I brought in the fire wood.  And, yes, the sled does glide more easily on the snow, but it tends to nip at my heels and try to race me to the porch.

A little before 1:00 pm, the sun peeked through a hole in the cloud cover so I turned on the water and washed my hair.  It was basically a "flush and fill", as we call it.  Turn it on to just fill the water containers, flush the toilet and fill the pipes.

More chinks of blue appeared in the clouds and the day brightened considerably.  So much so that the dogs and I went on a hike.  All traces of the morning snowfall had disappeared in the warmth of the sun, and the pathways were brown again along with some patches of the drive.  We started out going down the driveway, but at the steep part I figured that I really needed cleats on my boots to keep from slipping.  So we turned around and headed all the way up to the peak.  After enjoying the view, we headed down the south ridge to my bench and enjoyed the view from there for a while.  Back home we all took a short nap, then later took our regular afternoon walk.  Our high for the day was 39.

The March issue of National Geographic had an interesting article on "The War on Science", however I disagreed with several points and the general "science is always right" attitude.  So I e-mailed a letter to their editor.  Never done that before to that particular magazine.  The first letter to the editor of a newspaper (or any publication) I ever wrote was when I was in high school.  My Mother was an elementary school teacher and was forever spending her own money (that we could ill afford) on art supplies for posters and such that the school system should have been providing, but had no money for.  So when in an election the school bond did not pass, I wrote (what I thought was) a scathing letter lambasting the voters for dragging the schools through the mud along with the library bond, which also did not pass.  I was such a little mouse at that time, that when some of the high school teachers who new me, saw my name after that letter, they were quite astonished.  All except my English teacher.

The patches of blue sky disappeared and it began to snow again shortly before JB arrived back home, just as it has stopped snowing shortly after he left this morning.  But it didn't last much more than an hour.

He had enjoyed a good day Down There, including a visit to the Assessor's office.  Seems as though they are re-evaluating all the canyon lands, and the flat pieces will probably be going up in value.  That certainly shouldn't affect us, so hopefully ours will be adjusted back down.

The girls have been giving us an egg a day now for about a week.  In the 28 days of February, we received 24 eggs.

Tuesday 3/3. Twenty degrees and clear skies greeted us this morning.  The skies stayed clear all day long, and our high for the day was 35.

After spending yesterday mostly outside, we spent most of today inside reading newspapers and magazines.  Also defrosted the fridge.  Was a nice, lazy day, with a high of 35.

The dentist's office called to say they had a cancellation and would I like to come in this Thursday instead.  Oh yes, I want to get this over with.

I am so enjoying the return of the light.  And now, with cloudless nights, the moon is bright upon the snow.

Some more Downton Abbey to end the day.

Wednesday 3/4. Another cloudless morning and a temp of 25. 

Thought for the day: ". . . love is the essence of heaven.  It is what it is made of.  It is the coin of the realm." Eben Alexander, MD The Map of Heaven


No comments:

Post a Comment