Monday, October 12, 2015

October 12, 2015 A Letter & A Day Trip to the Winery

A photo from Saturday's drive.
Our wood cradle and the pile of
branches I plan to cut in it.















Friday 10/9. I have always been a sucker for a great sale, whether I really needed anything that was on sale or not.  So yesterday when I got home and saw the flyer for Shopko's quarterly sale, I cut out the ads for several items that were a very good deal.  However, it was with a great deal of pride that I later threw them all away and decided that we just do not need anything.  Our budget was so thankful.

Today I simply could not face all the paperwork that needed to be sorted.  So after laundry and lunch, I helped JB build the wood cradle.  We were almost done when the battery died on the screw driver.  Perfect timing though as it was time for him to drive down and meet the tree guy at the pavement.  He loved our place and gave us an excellent deal on taking down the three trees near the house.  They should be up in the next week or two to do the deed.  It will be interesting watching them as they are going to take the trees down in sections.

Following is the letter that I am sending to my Senators and Representative:
    I am writing to you regarding the heinous act of Martin Shkreli in raising the 
    price of Darapim to $750 per pill.  Neither an arrogant hedge-fund director 
    nor anyone, for that matter, should have to power to commit such an
    atrocity.  It is worse than many felonies.  It is robbery, extortion and possible
    murder all rolled into one act.  And the federal government should be held 
    accountable.

    As a voting citizen of this United States, I am demanding that this obscenity
    be corrected immediately and never be allowed to happen again.

    Please do not reply with any political garble.  This is an issue that MUST be
    addressed, and quickly.  And do not blame the Republicans.  I am an
    Independent, but these days I would not even consider voting for a Demo-
    crat until they all start getting off their liberal high horses and get realistic.

(Both our Senators are Democrats.)

With my intestinal issues, which are producing what most politicians do, yogurt has become my new best friend. . .

It was a slow, but good day and our high temp was 60.

Saturday 10/10. It was 54 and cloudy this morning.  We decided to visit JB's brother's winery today.  I am feeling ever so much more socially inclined since my trip with Nene, and I have never been to the winery.  

We got a bit of a late start and weren't on our way out of town until 10:00 am.  Even through the Wenatchee River Valley, the Fall colors were beautiful.  But as we passed through Leavenworth and into Tumwater Canyon, they became brilliant.  There are some things, some experiences, for which our language simply has no adequate words to describe.  Fall colors along the river is one of those things.  One of those experiences.  The vivid and brilliant bushes and trees are beyond amazing, and all with a backdrop of evergreen.  Even the pictures I took do it little justice.

I have seen upstate New York in the Fall and, as incredible as it is, without the evergreens I do not think it is as stunning as this season in the Washington mountains.

A light rain was falling as we drove over Steven's Pass.  As soon as we passed over the summit, the colors began to disappear until there was only the many shades of green.  As if the crispness of Fall had not yet arrived on the west side of the mountains.  The side of cedars, moss and ferns.  Slowly patches of yellows, oranges and reds began to appear, but only the trees, not the underbrush as on the east side.  We arrived at the winery at about 12:30 pm.

JB's brother gave me the royal tour, explaining everything.  It is a bit overwhelming all the details that must be attended to in making wine.  So much to know; so much to do.  But they are obviously doing it very well, as their business is growing.  Their wine tasting room is delightful and we had a delicious lunch and a good visit 

While we were eating, the sky let loose with a downpour.  One of the things that I do not miss about living over there.  We left at 2:30 pm, running through the rain to the car.  I wanted to visit their Costco to look for more gluten-free foods and found myself in the midst of yuppie mayhem.  Can't believe that at one time I simply accepted that experience as normal.  I did find a couple different crackers which I purchased.  I hope they are worth the effort.

Back on the highway and headed for home, the rain and wind picked up.  We were fighting them all the way back to Leavenworth where they both dissipated.  That lovely, little Bavarian town sits at the base of the mountains where the Wenatchee river exits Tumwater Canyon.  And where Octoberfest was in full swing.  It took us more than fifteen minutes to make a normal five-minute drive.  One of these years, when I am feeling really social, we will attend that party.

There were only a few sprinkles on our 25 mile drive home from there, that is until about a mile from our mailbox.  So when I had to get out of the car to collect the mail, I was pelted by rain and wind.  And again when I got out to open our gate.  A few minutes later, the rain stopped.  But it was quite evident that the rain had been falling for a while as the road was a little dicey in places.

We arrived back at Rose Camp a little after 6:00 pm, where the wind was gusting to 36 mph, but the rain had moved on.  Despite the weather, we were both glad that we had gone today, but it was so nice to be home again.  Our high for the day Up Here had been 66.

Sunday 10/11. This morning was a crisp 40 with blue skies.  We could see that there was snow on some of the highest mountain peaks from yesterday.

The girls haven't given us any eggs for several days now.  Elsie says that they are getting very few.  Hmmm. . .

After doing dishes, I vacuumed and did lots of other overdue housework.  Also gathered some kindling in the form of dead branches that were blown down in yesterday's storm.  JB finished the wood cradle, so I am good to go on cutting the pile of branch wood which will get stacked on the porch.

Randy called and we had a good, long chat.  All is well with them, but, like me, he is having problems adjusting to the early darkness.

I took a nap while JB was fixing dinner and when I awoke an hour later, the sky had become overcast.  Our high for the day was 56.

Monday 10/12. It is 48 and mostly overcast this morning.  And we have a mouse in the house. . .

Thought for the day: Fall has always been my favorite season.  The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale.  Lauren DeStefano Wither

No comments:

Post a Comment