Friday, October 23, 2015

October 23, 2015 Hauling Garbage & Cutting Wood


(Still having a problem uploading photos.)

Wednesday 10/21. Made our garbage run, and we were the only ones at the transfer station.  That's a first!  Usually there is a line, and pressure to back the trailer in quickly and perfectly.  No other errands other than the post office and buying newspapers, so we were home by noon after stopping in to visit Larry and Elsie.

We washed the dishes and then put the new tarp over the hen house roof.  The girls are molting, but not very fast.  We may not get eggs until Spring. . .

This morning's clouds to the west grew into a mainly overcast sky and our high for the day was 54.

I broke another tooth yesterday evening.  Most of these problems are from old, large fillings.  I actually got to sleep last night in spite of the pain I knew our budget would soon be feeling.  Fortunately the tooth itself isn't causing me any pain.  Not sure "budget" is the correct term to use.  Perhaps "chaotic jumble of every-changing numbers" would be more accurate.  Once again, thank you Wall Street.

We watched Burn After Reading this evening.  I have never been much of a fan of George Clooney, even though he is quite the handsome lad.  But his acting never impressed me much until I saw this movie in which he is phenomenal and hilarious.  

Thursday 10/22. It was a crisp 40 this morning with a clear sky.  Had to bundle up to go out and feed the girls.

I have finally perfected the mountain folk latte.  A latte is really the only form of coffee that gets me going.  That thrills my taste buds along with my brain cells.  So, after much thought on the subject, this morning I heated some milk on the stove and brought a couple ounces of water to boil.  I put the water in my cup and added a heaping teaspoon of instant espresso.  Then I added some vanilla syrup and the hot milk.  Oh, my!  That will certainly do on mornings that I am not going Down There.

In fact, it worked so well, that I cut and stacked one load of wood before brunch and three loads afterwards.  That finished the stack of branch wood, and we have about one and one-fourth rows on the south end of the porch.  Some of those branches were 3" in diameter.

JB lit a fire in the wood stove in the shop in an effort to dry out the ceiling in there.  Openings have appeared in the tongue-&-groove decking, so water got down there during the last rain storm.  Before we get more moisture from the sky, I will fill those cracks with caulking

In the Nov/Dec issue of BackWoods Home, the editor's My View page is a wonderful piece on free enterprise.  Also there are plans for a great looking fire pit, and, of course, delicious sounding recipes.  All in all, a great issue - as usual.

I made an appointment with my dentist to get a crown on my tooth.  Couldn't get in until 11/16, but it should be good until then.

JB worked on Miss Kitty, as she had been making a odd sound.  He fiddled around a bit and now he can't hear that noise. . .

Dinga caught and injured a mouse, but didn't kill it.  So I had to.  I really do hate to do that, but I just find a rock, smash its head and put it out of its misery.

The sky remained clear today and our high was 62, but it was a very chilly 62.

Larry is going deer hunting this weekend, so I am going to help Elsie in their shop on Saturday.

Friday 10/23. It is 42 and overcast this morning.  We plan to use the tractor to finish cleaning up the splitting area today.

Thought for the day: Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage not weakness.  Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment