Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 1, 2016 A Gift From A Cat & Wildflowers


Our first prairie smoke blooms.



Tuesday 5/31. This morning was 54 and clear with a light breeze that made our high for the day of 70 very pleasant.

After morning chores, I planted the two tomato plants that Elsie sent home with me.  I put one in the barrel planter and one in the raised bed.  Then I started clipping branches, starting with the pine that was in the shade.  Stacking the small pine branches is a real pain in the patootie, as none of them are straight.  As the sun moved, so did I, to the fir branches.  While I was doing all this, JB was finishing up with the mowing.

After lunch I drove down to see my Brother at his cabin and took the winter collection of glass bottles for him.  He plans to be Up Here a lot this year, which will be nice.

Last Friday JB cut five more fir rounds.  They were so large that he had to make nine trips with the tractor to move ten pieces to the splitter.

On Saturday, while I was house-sitting, Larry and Elsie's little cat brought me a present first thing in the morning - a dead chipmunk.  I would have preferred a mouse, but a gift is a gift, and he dropped it right at my feet.

Most of the rose bushes along our road popped into bloom over the weekend, and there are blossoms on several of the bushes Up Here.  The balsam root has gone to seed, but there are still a lot of arnica flowers all around.  The alpine spring beauties are gone, but there are a few prairie stars left and many Douglas tritaria.  The paint brush began appearing a couple weeks ago and now I see their orange tops dotting the forest and along the road.  Lupine is still painting the ground in lavender, and yesterday I saw our first prairie smoke blooms.

We are not watching movies in the evenings very often now, but rather puttering around outside and then sitting on the porch.

Wednesday 6/1.  Wow!  June already.  The first day of the month is going to be a hot one as it is already 64 and partly cloudy.

Thought for the day: A grateful heart is a magnet for miracles.  Roma Downey

No comments:

Post a Comment