Wednesday, June 15, 2016

June 15, 2016 A Racing Bear, Mixed Girls & Cold Weather


The top of the box that I
decorated and gave to Sandy
for her birthday. . .

. . . and the front of the box.











Monday 6/13. I had washed the dishes, done the morning watering outside, gathered and stacked the pine kindling that was in the shade, and reorganized the storage side of the outhouse by the time JB left at 10:45 am for his doctor's appointment and errands.  And I didn't stop then.

There was a nasty odor in the house this morning that we figured was a dead mouse or two, so I pulled all the linens out of the linen closet to get to the door to the space around the tub.  Sure enough, there was a mouse.  I couldn't reach it, so I sprayed a lot of Lysol and deodorizer.  Then loaded the closet back up, and changed the sheets on the bed.

Then I reorganized the pantry to make items more easily accessible, and wondered why I hadn't done that years ago. . .  After that, I had to make another gallon of hummingbird syrup.  The hoards have arrived.

JB was home by 3:30 pm with a clean bill of health, other than his gout.  The wind had picked up during the afternoon and our high for the day was 66.

I bought the book Meals In A Jar several months ago and have been looking through it lately and planning what I want to try.  Before preparing a lot of one recipe for storage, I wanted to try it out.  So I made her Broccoli-Cheese Soup for dinner tonight.  It was with a bit of trepidation that I did this, as she uses a lot of freeze-dried foods and I really didn't want to waste any.  But it turned out quite delicious!  Next I plan to try her macaroni and cheese dish.

This has got me going on canning things like cheese and butter, as they are ingredients for many of her recipes.  So I will be looking for good buys on those and other items.

I was on a roll today.  So much so that I rolled into bed at 7:30 pm.  Just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

Tuesday 6/14. I went to bed so early last night that I got up at 5:30 am this morning.  Had to put a fire in as it was 37, cloudy and breezy.  Brrrrr!  By the time JB got up at 7:30 am, it had warmed up to 40.

I had a nice, long talk with Sandy, who usually gets up around 5:00 am.  She is looking forward to the rain they are supposed to get on Thursday, but seeing is believing.  While we were talking, I was watching nine hummingbirds at one of our feeders.  Nine!  They must have all been part of the same family because none of them were getting chased away.

JB went Down There again today as he forgot two important items yesterday.  One was actually on his list and he had forgotten to put the other one on.  I figured that since he was going down, he could also pick up some groceries.

After he left a little after 10:00 am, I took the dogs on their morning walk.  It was a very chilly venture.  Then I gathered and stacked the rest of the pine kindling, but the wind was just too icy to stay outside any longer.

I did a few things around the house, but pretty much made up for yesterday by taking it easy.

JB was home around 1:30 pm with news from Elsie that we needed to cover the tomato plants tonight as there is snow in the forecast!  On his drive home, way down in the canyon even before Larry and Elsie's house, a cinnamon-colored bear came racing down the steep slope on his left, across the road and down into the canyon!  It was probably a two-year old, but he figured that if the bear had hit the car, it would have taken them all over the side.  

Our high for the day was just 58 with the wind gusting to 13 mph.  We did get out and cover the plants after dinner, all bundled up like it was February.

Since I went to bed before the girls last night, I had to put the little ones in with the big ones tonight.  This afternoon I moved the large, hanging feeder out of the hen house and hung it in their outside covered area so the little ones could get to it more easily.  At 8:00 pm the big girls were already inside roosting, so I shooed all three little ones inside and blocked the door with the dog house.  Hopefully they will all survive the night being together.

Wednesday 6/15. It is 36 and clear this morning.  There is snow on the passes, but it didn't get this far east.

I got up at 6:45 am to let the girls out and the little ones had already wiggled their way out of the small opening.  I just hope they spent the night inside.  I will take the dog house out of the pen today.

Thought for the day: For who can endure a doctrine which would allow only dentists to say whether our teeth ache, only cobblers to say whether our shoes hurt us, and only government to tell us whether we are being well-governed?  C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment