Wednesday, November 16, 2016

November 16, 2016 Colder Weather & Abandoned Dogs

A rainbow on Tuesday
morning's walk.


Monday 11/14. The road wasn't as slippery as I thought it might be, thank goodness.  I got my two appointments over with, the shopping done and was home by 2:00 pm.  It turned out to be a nice, sunny day.  Our high Up Here was 46.

Larry and Elsie went elk hunting.  They saw a herd of about 30 but weren't able to do any actual hunting as there just wasn't time to get to where the elk were, shoot one and get it back out since they have to be at work tomorrow.  He is going to go next weekend for both days, and hopefully the herd hasn't moved too far.

One of the items I bought today was another large dog bowl for the chickens' water this winter.  So instead of trying to chop the ice out each morning, I can just bring another bowl and fill it with water.  Then take the frozen one and put it in the bathtub to thaw out.  Why didn't I think of this two years ago?

When the dogs and I went for our afternoon walk, they were sniffing all over the south ridge with their hackles up.  You can barely see Dinga's hackles, but Jesse's stand up at least a couple inches!  Don't know what had been up there, but it wasn't just deer.

Tuesday 11/15. I think rain fell most of the night.  It was 37 and still pouring when I got up a little before 8:00.  But the wind picked up and in less than a half an hour the rain had stopped and the sky was mostly blue.

After dishes and laundry, I was back up in the loft sorting and throwing.  Still didn't get it all done, because around noon I heard barking outside.  It was the two dogs who had been in the canyon for several weeks.  I didn't let ours out, but I went out with my gun and walking stick to check on them.  They were very interested in the chickens, and obviously very hungry as I could see their ribs.  They are large dogs, so I really didn't want to get too close.  One was very shy and ran away, but the other one was wagging its tail and barking.  I talked to it and went back in to get some food, but when I came out they were running down the north ridge.  I was crying because I felt so bad for them and wanted to help.

When I spoke with Elsie on the radio this evening, she had heard they were abandoned when renters moved out of a place almost down on the pavement.  I just can't believe that people do that!  It's going to be very cold tonight so I can only hope that they have found a cozy place to stay.  If they do come back up, I will set food out for them and try to get them into the car so I can take them to the Humane Society.  Meanwhile, I am very, very sad. . .

The wind blew all day, but finally disappeared with the sun.  Our high for the day was 43.

Wednesday 11/16. It is 32 with clear skies this morning and lots of new snow on the mountains.  I can only pray that the two dogs have a good shelter.

Thought for the day: The most difficult thing is the decision to act.  The rest is merely tenacity.  Amelia Earhart


No comments:

Post a Comment