Monday, September 24, 2018

September 24, 2018 A Sad Goodbye Then Getting Spoiled

Our RED fir cones.












Thursday 9/20. Getting up at 5:00 am really sucks, especially when I know I have to say goodbye to our son.  But we did it and were on our way Down There a little before 6:00 am in the dark.  Because Blewett Pass has only one lane open, we have to go east to go west.  Certainly not taking Stevens Pass then have to fight the morning traffic going south on 405.  It is a beautiful drive and we cross the Columbia River twice, once at Wenatchee and a second time at Vantage.  

We were at the airport by 10:30 am, which was probably only 1/2 hour longer than usual.  Driving away ripped my heart in half.  Even though I talk to him two or three times a week, it's just not the same as being with him. . .

But fortunately I was driving to my Aunt Nene's where I knew I would be loved and spoiled.  And, boy, was I!

Friday 9/21. Nene takes me out for almost every meal, but we didn't go out for breakfast this morning because we are meeting my cousin and Nene's best friend for lunch at noon at China Sun restaurant.  It is a buffet and they have every Chinese dish you've ever heard of.  Absolutely delicious.

My cousin came back to the house where we played Skip-Bo and chatted all afternoon.  No going out for dinner after that lunch!  But Nene and I had to play more Skip-Bo after my cousin left.

Saturday 9/22. It had rained during the night, like my tears for having to leave.  But I was on my way by 10:00 am and have decided to drive up 405 to my brother-in-law's winery in Woodinville.  I was on the freeway long enough to give thanks that I no longer live on that side of the mountains.  They treated me to a wonderful lunch and sent me on my way with two boxes of wine and port.  Had a lovely visit, too.  

Rain was falling all the way from Woodinville across Steven's Pass, but not hard enough to hide the incredible Fall colors.  It has been years since I have driven this road in the Fall and I had forgotten just how brilliant they are.  There are many more deciduous bushes and trees than on Snoqualemie Pass.  

Of course I had to stop at The Alps store on the Wenatchee River just before Leavenworth.  They make the most delicious fudge, taffee, mustards, and sauces! And I haven't stopped there for years.

I picked up a few items at the grocery store and was home by 5:30 pm.  Very good to be home again.

Sunday 9/23. It was 40 and mostly clear this morning.  So nice to wake up to the quiet and the fresh mountain air.  But now it begins for another season: bringing in wood and building a fire when I let the dogs out at 4:00 or 5:00 am.

Our son brought me an Ipad that he bought at an estate sale for no money because it "wouldn't power on."  Well, he quickly fixed that problem and it works perfectly.  Unfortunately he put Angry Birds on it and I am quickly becoming addicted. . .

With everything that has been going on, I am way behind on laundry.  So I will go down to the laundromat Monday or Tuesday.  But not just for the laundry, but also to download some movies on Netflix that he put on the Ipad!

I was going to take the day off, but then decided to split some wood.  I loaded and JB drove two loads of split wood and two loads of large branch wood that our son had split over to the wood shed.  I stacked it mixing the two together.  He also brought a load of smaller branch wood for large kindling.  Hardly seemed to make a dent in the pile that our son had cut.

Monday 9/24. It is 40 this morning and there are no clouds to be seen.  Will probably go down to the laundromat this morning, as we have to go Down There on Wednesday for JB's doctor's appointment for his ear and to drop my Jeep of to have the window fixed.  The one I paid $400 for isn't working any more.

Thought for the day: Autumn is like a second Spring where every leave is a flower.  Albert Camus (Thank you for that, Sande.)

No comments:

Post a Comment