Monday, October 14, 2013

Oct 14, 2013 Birds and Cougars

One of the varied thrush in our yard.
Brilliant wild rose bushes in
their Fall colors.





Friday 10/11.  A hectic trip Down There today.  Lots of stops, but no grocery shopping.  Not my favorite kind of day.  Also got water at Larry and Elsie's.  Something I didn't think we would have to do again.

The air Up Here is full of wings and chirping this week.  Woodpeckers, juncos, finches, grosbeaks ,and a small flock of varied thrush on their way to California.  Seems like our busiest time for birds is early Spring and Autumn.

Thank you to a reader for the comment about Rainy Day Foods!  I went to their site and purchased some items that we don't have at great prices.

Saturday 10/12.  It is 32 and overcast this morning.  It rained a bit before we got up and there is a 30% chance of more rain today.  So it was mostly an inside day - papers, puzzles, books, and three days worth of dishes, as the housekeeper did not come up to do the dishes while I was gone yesterday. . .

I tried to get the splitter going about mid afternoon, but it was just too cold.  So I cut and stacked a couple loads of branch wood.  JB baked orange muffins and craisin scones.  It smelled so good inside the house!

We only got a little drizzle in the morning but did not see the sun until our afternoon walk.  Then it was soon covered up again.  Our high was only 37.

The dogs came in from a short outing just as we were sitting down to dinner and they were both spooked.  Dinga lay down at my feet under the table and stayed there til I was done eating.  Bears and coyotes don't usually cause that reaction, so it may have been a cougar.

Sunday 10/13.  It was sunny and 31 this morning when JB got up at 7:30 am.  I slept in til 8:30 and then had a wonderful breakfast of a cheese and onion omelet with scones.  

JB drove MAX down to the game cam for the card and we had some great videos of a large (mama?) cougar, deer and a rabbit.  When he got back up to Rose Camp, he cut the wood in the cradle.  Three tractor bucket loads to the porch and one to the splitter.  Then, because the sun was shining and the temperature was into the 40's, I started the splitter and and split four loads.  We did stop for lunch during all that.  I was able to pretty much finish the second row on the north side of the porch, so I would say we are set for a long, cold winter.

From the comment regarding someone else's animals and the almanac, it does look to be a long one.  I have put in more supplies than usual, too.

RJ is at his cabin and will be up for dinner on Monday.  JB is making lasagna, switching our cooking days since I will be Down There and home late.  My doctor's appointment isn't until 3:00 pm.

I think we have seen the last of the wasps in the loft, so I finally got up there and washed the windows.  Had to use a scrubbie and lots of elbow grease to get all the wasp guts off.  My, what a difference!

The clouds stayed away all day and our high was 43.  A perfect day to work outside.

Monday 10/14.  It is another clear, cold morning Up Here, 31.  I don't have to leave til about 11:00 am.

Thought for the day: Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith.  Margaret Shepard

No comments:

Post a Comment