Monday, October 21, 2013

Oct 21, 2013 Rocks & Sun

RJ's outdoor fireplace in the process of being
transformed into an outdoor kitchen.
A splash of gold in the midst of
an evergreen palette.
Friday 10/18.  Another beautiful day.  The weather for the past few weeks has been absolutely delightful!  Quite the opposite from last year.  But each day when we awake to blue sky, I feel like there are dark, angry clouds just waiting to march over the mountains and drop their load of rain and/or snow.

Today JB cut two cradles of wood, and really should have done only one.  He used the tractor to haul it over to the woodshed in two loads, where I stacked it against the fence.  There is no more room under the roof.  Another load went to the splitter.

After lunch, we took the tractor down our road, just to the short cut to RJ's, to get large rocks.  There are a lot of them in just that short distance.  JB made four trips with the largest rocks I was able to get into the bucket.  The last trip was just one very large, very flat rock that will be great for the outdoor kitchen.  I thought we had gathered a quite a few rocks, but the pile sure didn't look very big.  I'm glad we're getting started this Fall, because it is going to take longer than I thought to get all that we need.  

I had time before JB started the pizza to get a banana coffee cake baked.  I like it so much better than banana bread.

All the current "homesteading" magazines have arrived in the past week and we are busy reading them.  I am sure we could become self-sufficient - as long as I can shop at Costco. . .

Saturday 10/19.  We left for Down There at 8:30 with just two main goals - flu shots and the arts and crafts fair.  The clinic was giving shots this morning and was so organized that we were in and out in no more than five minutes!

Then it was off to the big arts and crafts fair at the Town Toyota Center.  I don't think Wenatchee has ever had a big, professional fair like this one and it was great.  I finished my Christmas shopping, and even bought a purse for myself made out of the top of a pair of jeans.  Something I have always wanted and it was only $19!

Then we picked up the mail and were home by 1:00 pm.  Unpacked our goodies.  Read much of the mail, papers and magazines.  And just tried to unwind from all the sensory overload.

Larry and Elsie came up to visit this evening.  Elsie actually apologized for not having any eggs to bring, what with having lost a few of their chickens and the days getting shorter.  What a gal!  We had a nice long visit which was really overdue.  So much going on in both our lives this summer.

Sunday 10/20.  Another incredible Fall day with blue sky and a high of 62.  Am so glad Larry and Elsie are having such great weather for their days off.  They certainly deserve it.

After a late breakfast, I cut and split wood.  The small kindling refilling the row in the wood shed from where I have been taking it.  JB took two tractor bucket loads of the split wood to the south side of the porch where I undid the tarp and stacked it on the outside row.  So now that end is definitely done also.

JB was making split pea and ham soup when I took the dogs for their afternoon walk.  Dinga discovered a very small snake on the north ridge.  Its markings sure looked like a rattler's, and, not wanting to take any chances, I killed it with a stick.  I was really surprised to see such a small snake this late in the year.

Monday 10/21.  Another clear morning with a forecast of 70 for Down There, which is where we are going again.  This time to drop off JB's Jeep for an oil change and other work.  Then grocery shopping and back home.  Tomorrow I get to go down again to take JB to pick up his Jeep, do laundry, Costco shopping and my doctor's appointment to have whatever "that" is removed from my arm.  Then, hopefully, all these trips down will be over for a while.

Thought for the day:  I compared notes with one of my friends who expects everything of the universe and is disappointed when anything is less than the best, and I found that I begin at the other extreme, expecting nothing, and am always full of thanks for moderate goods.  Ralph Waldo Emerson, Experience


No comments:

Post a Comment