Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Oct 2, 2013 Snow on the Mountains & a Cougar on the Camera

Monday's rainbow . . .



. . . and snow on the mountains to the northwest.
















Monday 9/30.  The snow level in the mountains has dropped to 5000' and it is cold enough for snow at Rose Camp this morning.  About 9:30 am, big wet flakes began falling with the rain.  This October may be like last year, when we had our first big snow that actually stayed in mid-month.

The wind blew away the clouds and rain around 10:00 am.  The sky was suddenly blue and the wet trees sparkled in the sun.  I went out to move one of the rain barrels behind the wood shed to see if we could get some water in it from the roof.  Then the dogs and I went on their morning walk.  A bit sloppy in the mud, but the sun felt good.  All the mountains around us were white and the low clouds were racing out of the canyons.  I think the snow level must have dropped to 4500'.  As we arrived back at the house, another cell was blowing in but it passed in just a few minutes.  There was no more rain for the day but lots of sun.  Our high was only 40.

The last couple days I have had an excuse to play in the mud again, keeping the drains flowing.  I suppose at my age I don't really need an excuse.  If I want to play in the mud, I can damn well go out and do just that!

After lunch I cut JB's hair, so he won't look quite like and ol' grizzled mountain man when he goes Down There tomorrow for the annual health insurance meeting.  Going to find out how high our premiums will be next year thanks to the new O'Bummer plan.  (That nick name courtesy of Larry.)

Then I just had time to bake some banana coffee cake before I had to get dinner going.  Looks like we are not going to get any chicken canned like we wanted to, but I really need to make and can pie filling with the cherries I still have in the freezer.

Tuesday 10/1.  It was 27 and partly cloudy this morning.  I won't worry about the potatoes for a while as they are covered with dirt and lots of straw.

JB left a little before 9:00 am for Down There.  I was out the door at 9:30 to cut and stack wood.  By 11:30 I had four loads of kindling and three loads of larger wood (about 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" in diameter) all done, plus the dogs and I had gone on their morning walk at 10:30.  A good time to break for lunch.  The clouds had moved in and the forecast rain looked probable.

Since everything is now thoroughly soaked, I'll have to start getting kindling, along with the regular wood, from the wood shed.

After a long lunch break, I cut and stacked two more loads before JB returned home.  It seems that our health insurance actually will not change much, but we still haven't checked on all the details.

The clouds didn't stay overhead long, and the rest of the day was bright and sunny but with a cold breeze.  Our high for the day was 38.

JB brought the game cam card up with him, and we have a cougar on it!  Just a small one, which means that mama may have been close by.  I'm not sure if I should be excited or wary.  OK, I'm both.

Larry and Elsie drove up for a visit this evening.  She brought us tomatoes and a pepper.  Her tomatoes are so good!  Larry said the only reason they came up was to get some mud on his Jeep. . .

Wednesday 10/2.  It's 30 and overcast this morning.  If we get any precipitation today, it may end up being snow

Thought for the day:  It seems to me that the people who are responsible for the government having to shut down, aka Congress, ought to be the first ones to lose their paychecks.  Wild Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment