Monday, October 7, 2013

Oct 7, 2013 Phenomenal Fall Weather & A New Recipe

Our Mr. Potato Head

A patch of blazing fire weed



















Friday 10/4.  Today was just one of those days.  I got started late.  Remembered everything except my grocery list and coupons.  Just flustered all the way.  But now I have most of our winter supplies.  I had let our stock get a bit low during the summer with everything that was going on.  The only thing about going Down There for laundry and shopping is that when I arrive back home, I am only 2/3 done with my day.  Still have to unload, put it all away, including the clothes.  Yes, JB helps but he still cannot lift anything too heavy.   Whine, whine, whine. . .  At least it was a beautiful day. . . and I had my latte.

And, speaking of JB, he drove MAX around while I was gone, trying to figure out what was wrong with one of the wheels.  Of course, he had no problems at all.  We'll be putting the tracks soon.

Saturday 10/5.  It was mostly clear again and in the high 30's this morning.  Another beautiful Fall day with no rain in sight till Monday.  We plan to take our six-month's worth of garbage down on Tuesday since this will be a dry weekend.

Am already using my winter outside "refrigerator" for drinks and cheese.  It's working great and gives me a lot more room for my inside one.

Emergency Essentials is having a special on their food-grade water barrels, so I am going to order one.  Would like to have at least one that hasn't been used for something else.  They are also having a great sale on their freeze-dried chicken, so I'll order a couple cans of that too.  We bought some of their freeze-dried carrots that were on sale a couple months ago and have opened one can to use this winter.  I used some in a vegetable soup I made today and they are great!

I cut and stacked more branch wood, then just sat on the porch and enjoyed the sun, the birds, the woods.  Our high for the day was 49.  Then, even though I read that potatoes can be kept in the ground even in the winter, JB was concerned about them so we dug up the rest.  All red potatoes and they are so good.  Last week a tried a new recipe, Potatoes Anna, that is delicious.  Simply cut three large potatoes into 1/4" slices and arrange them in a greased pie pan.  Melt two tablespoons of butter and add to it one teaspoon of salt, then drizzle over the potatoes.  Preheat oven to 425 and cover potatoes with foil for the first 20 minutes, then bake another 55 minutes uncovered.  This is now at the top of my list for ways to fix potatoes!

Our son was on furlough from his government job this past week and he called to say that Congress passed a resolution that all government employees will be paid retroactively when they return to their jobs.  Basically a paid vacation.  I am doing all I can to hold back a rant. . .

Sunday 10/6.  Clear and 38 this morning.  After JB's breakfast of bacon and eggs with Elsie's tomato, we drove the tractor down the road to work on draining more puddles.  I am really surprised at my stamina these days.  After more than an hour, I started getting a little winded and my feet felt awfully heavy - then I looked down at my boots and realized that I had about five pounds of wet clay stuck to each one!  Cleaned them off and I was good to go.  We got several areas drained and even JB was going strong.  Of course the dogs were loving it.  Dinga usually stays close, but Jesse was off on an adventure and didn't arrive home til about 30 minutes after we did.

It was another phenomenal Fall day, with a high of 50.  In the past week or so, the colors have gone from subtle to brilliant.  Some of the bushes are a bright, pre-yellow green, while others have turned yellow and orange.  The fire weed leaves are orange and red, as is much of the other undergrowth.  

After lunch, I took a nap.  As I have mentioned before, I love my naps and the ability to take them when I want to.

The current Smithsonian Magazine's theme is "Secrets of American History" and is fascinating.  Everything from Lincoln and Kennedy to Camus and Norman Rockwell.  It is going to take me a while to get all the way through it.

And speaking of magazines, the newest Farm Show is also a good one (as always), but with more for us in it.  I usually cut out the articles I want then give it to Larry, but this time there would not have been much left for him, so I copied them instead.  Something I should probably to in the future, too.

One of my Mom's very best friends called me today.  She reads my blog and we keep in touch.  It was so good to talk with her.  As we both agreed, with e-mail people do not seem to talk on the phone as much we they used to.  I know I am really bad at phoning friends and family.  I write my blog and get busy with life Up Here. . .

And speaking of my Mom, this month she will have been gone 18 years.  That just doesn't compute.  Time is such a subjective thing.

To answer RandySoCal's question regarding our well problems, our well is 612' deep so I think we had it dug deep enough.  In this area, if the previous summer was dry, then towards the end of the current summer, the water in the wells will be low.  With all the rain we have had this summer, next year ought to be just fine.  But we won't rely on that.  We are learning more and more how much water we do not need and how to capture the rain we get.

Monday 10/7.  This morning is 39 and partly cloudy.  The snow on the lower hills has melted, but the Cascades and Mission Ridge are standing proudly in their white capes.

Thought for the day:  Freedom of speech means that you shall not do something to people either for the views they express, or the words they speak or write.  Hugo L. Black




1 comment:

  1. Rainy Day Foods (Walton Feed) is having a sale of 40% off all cans until October 18th. Good time to stock up if you use this type of product.

    ReplyDelete