Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Oct 9, 2013 Wind and Garbage

Odd cloud formation to the north
on Monday.
Bright Autumn leaves from the
wild rose bush.





















Monday 10/7.  A biting wind blew all day, but we had to get the cradle wood cut and stacked, so out we went.  We could not get either of the two borrowed chainsaws started, so JB used his chainsaw.  (It's a good thing his doctor does not read this blog.)  Then he brought the tractor over and I filled the bucket.  He drove it over to the porch and I stacked it.  We had three loads to the porch and two to the splitter.

After going inside for lunch and to warm up, I cut and stacked branch wood until my back said, "No more!"  Then I refilled all the empty cans with sawdust for the outhouse.  And ran the well pump.  We are up to 25".  After that we all took a short nap.

Even though just listening to the wind makes me feel cold, the house was warm enough that we didn't need an fire after the first one in the morning.  Because the temperature was up to 50 yesterday, we didn't need one last night either.  Our high for today was only 43.

I am always amazed that such big, tall trees can sway so far back and forth in the wind without snapping.  I am sure the wind velocity today was pushing into the low 40's, if not higher.

Tuesday 10/8.  32 and partly cloudy this morning and still a bit breezy.  And, lo and behold, JB's back is NOT bothering him.  Thank goodness.

Note to self:  Do NOT go to the garbage dump on a Tuesday morning (it is closed on Sunday and Monday).  We were there for about an hour, along with everyone else in town. . .  But we finally got the trailer emptied and the rest of our errands run, including buying rain gutters for the woodshed.  While we were Down There, we watched a short rain squall move through our canyon.  It obviously didn't dump too much rain as the road was barely wet on our way home.  One more short shower passed over around dinner time.

We just relaxed for the rest of the afternoon, reading our mail, magazines and newspapers.  JB took the dogs on their walk while I nursed my sinuses.  Am definitely going to see an ear-nose-&-throat doctor soon about the problems I am having.

Wednesday 10/9.  Another clear, Fall morning and 30.  I am almost drooling on my computer as the scent of the muffins JB is baking wafts up to the loft where I am typing.  

Today we plan to put up the gutters on the woodshed and direct the rain into one of the barrels I just bought.  I just hope the snow and ice doesn't rip them off this winter. . .

Thought for the day:  Tax reform is taking taxes off things that have been taxed and putting taxes on things that haven't been taxed before.  Art Buchwald




No comments:

Post a Comment