Friday, October 4, 2013

Oct 4, 2013 More Cutting & Stacking


Mt. Stewart up close, snow laden once again.


Wednesday 10/2.  Fog crept in early this morning.  We got on our way right after breakfast to drive down and fix the two largest puddles about 1-1/2 miles down our road.  We rode.  The dogs ran.  Just as we finished digging deep drains from each, rain began to fall.  So we got the dogs in the car, mud and all, and drove back up to our hair-pin turn which needed its drain cleaned out.  With that all done, it was time for lunch.

I ate one of Elsie's tomatoes with a big slice of cheddar cheese.  Oh, my!

It never really did rain at Rose camp today.  A few little showers passed through and the sun never did break through the cloud cover.  Our high was only 35.

I spent the afternoon putting away my summer clothes and getting out my winter ones, all the while reorganizing part of the loft storage space.  Something I fear I will be forever doing.

JB made cookies from a pricey gluten-free box mix.  They were okay, but not nearly as good as the ones I make from scratch.

Thursday 10/3.  Clear and 28 this morning although we obviously received a lot of rain during the night.  May have been snow that didn't stick.  There is new snow on the surrounding mountains.

JB left for Down There about 9:00 am to run errands and go to a dentist appointment.  Once again, I was out at 9:30 to cut and stack wood.  Took the dogs on their morning walk then worked till lunch time.  They stayed out when I went in, loving the cool, dry weather.  It was a gorgeous Fall day and our high was 42.

I was back out after lunch, cutting and stacking several more loads.  I now have two short rows of kindling on the east side and have started the third and last one.  I doubled the amount of larger wood on the north side, but there is still a lot more to cut.  It is supposed to be nice this weekend, so hopefully I can get one of the little chain saws going and at least cut the wood already stacked in the cradle.

I will be going Down There tomorrow to do laundry and grocery shopping.  Will also get water at Larry and Elsie's, which may be the last time.  I ran the well pump for 10 minutes today and the cistern filled back up to 24-1/2".  That includes backfilling the 10 or so gallons I used to flush the toilet the last three days.  That is all I plan to use all the water for that I bring up.

Friday 10/4.  It is 32 with a cloudless sky.  JB gets to enjoy the day Up Here while I go Down There.

I simply refuse to write about the government situation, as I will get on a rant and won't be able to stop.  The word "impeach" does come to mind. . .

Thought for the day:  What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.  The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents.  Robert F. Kennedy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rose,
    I have been reading your posts for the past year with great interest on how you and JB have built, homesteaded, and improved your property. I have re-read some of your posts, but I do not understand what has happened to your well/water situation. Was the well drilled too shallow? Thank you, RandySoCal

    ReplyDelete