Wednesday, November 7, 2018

November 7, 2018 A Wood Rat & A Trip Down There

Look who's sharing the hen house
with the girls!



Monday 11/5.  When I fed the girls this morning, I saw droppings just inside the door of their hen house that look like they were made by a pack rat.  Oh, goodie.  Maybe it is whatever is tunneling all around our place.  A few days ago I noticed tunnels surfacing in the grove.  Am sure it is something larger than a mole and smaller than a woodchuck.  Am also pretty sure that if all the tunnels on the south slope collapsed, the ridge would sink at least a foot.

Even though I vacuumed yesterday, it is hard to tell.  Every time someone - two-legged or four-legged - comes in from outside, they bring a bit of it in with them.  Fir needles, moss, dirt, bark - it all sticks to boots and paws, just waiting to get inside.

As my body seems to be getting older, I think my mind is stuck at 50 years old.  Yes, I have matured since then, thank goodness, but my mind doesn't feel as old as my body does.  Hopefully I will be like my Aunt Nene and shall feel 50 at 93!

Mission Ridge had snow this morning, after they had a "pray-for-snow" party up there yesterday.  Their season opens on Thanksgiving.

I baked peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies this afternoon, but instead of using chunky peanut butter, I used creamy and added 1/2 cup of Rice Krispies.  Very good!

The sky remained mostly clear today, with the large bank of clouds breaking up before it reached us.  Our high was just 45.

Tuesday 11/6. It is 36 with mostly clear skies this morning.  JB left for Down There at 9:00 am for a check-up on his ear, and a long list of errands.

The girls' roommate greeted me when I opened the hen house door to give them their scratch on the way back from our morning walk.  Looks like a pack rat but it has a furry tail.  So I googled rodents (there are a LOT of them) and discovered that it is a furry-tailed wood rat.  They act much like a pack rat but are more closely related to a mouse.  It must be getting in the only opening in the run, just above the little door.  Will have to think about how to get rid of it.

Lots of deer tracks around the house the last couple days, and this morning, while I was bringing in fire wood, I watched three of them bounding across the south slope going east.

I wonder how the elections are going today.  The Democrats must be spending millions on a smear campaign against Dino Rossie who is running for U.S. Representative.  I am so sick of politics!  

When I went to give the girls their afternoon snack, I took my walking stick and flushed the rat out of the hen house.  He immediately climbed the door to the run, but the girls were right there so he didn't go in.  I chased him up on the roof, then went to find a piece of wood to use to close the opening.  I found one the perfect size and nailed it in place.  Then I checked inside the hen house to be sure he didn't get back in.  We will have to put out some poison in the shop, as I am sure that is where he will be headed.

JB had a long day and didn't get home till almost 4:00 pm.  But all is well with his ear and it is back to normal.

Wednesday 11/7. It is a cold 30 this morning with clear skies.  I had purchased a two-pack of winter work gloves at Costco last time I was there and they are great.  Am sure I will be using them a lot in the next months.

Thought for the day: Think old and you will be old.  Think young and you'll be a delusional old fart.

No comments:

Post a Comment