Friday, November 9, 2018

November 9, 2018 Politics & Cold Weather

Solid white mountains to the NW.


Wednesday 11/7. By the results of the elections, it seems that the hot, dry weather west of the mountains this summer must have fried everyone's brains over there.  Am now even more glad that I live up on a mountain.  I absolutely refuse to discuss politics any more.  Our country is on a downslide and it makes me so sad.

The girls' water had a thin layer of ice on it this morning.  Brrr.

It was a quiet day spent mostly inside, with a bright blue sky and brilliant sunshine outside.  But cold, with a high of 42.

In the photo of the snow-covered mountains, the tallest one to the left is Glacier Peak.

Thursday 11/8. It is 28 with clear skies this morning.  The girls' water had more than an inch of solid ice on it.  I could tell that the wood rat is back inside the hen house.  I had messed up his little nest and it was all made up again.  There is only one place that I know of where he could be getting in, so I will close that up today.

We all went on the morning walk, which I really should be doing every day.  I have plenty of energy to make it up to the peak at 10:30 am.  Not so much at 3:30 pm.

After lunch I went out to the girls' run and nailed the split in the chicken wire closed.  Looked all around and couldn't see anywhere else that a critter larger than a mouse could be getting in.  Went in the hen house and poked my walking stick around, but didn't flush the wood rat.  Hopefully he can't get back in.

Meanwhile, JB was taking the front axle off of MAX.  I helped him a bit with the last of getting it out.  He put the missing part on and I helped with the tricky part of getting it back in.  It really is a two-person job.  While he was finishing it up, I went up on the deck (roof of the shop) and used eye screws and cable ties to replace the hooks and bungie cords holding down the tarps.

Then it was time for our afternoon walk.  The earth was still frozen and frosty.  Only the frost that the sun had found had melted.  Another beautiful but chilly day with a high of 40.  We kept a fire going in the wood stove most of the day.

Friday 11/9. It is 30 and overcast this morning with the possibility of our first snow arriving today.

Thought for the day: We all know those people to love to stir the pot.  Be the one to close the lid.  Molly Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment