Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Nov 20, 2013 Tis the Season

A view from the peak.

Monday 11/18.  It was a slippery ride down our road this morning.  The Jeep's rear end kept trying to catch up to its front end.  Took me a while but I made it down safely.  Got all my errands done in time to meet Nancy and her daughter-in-law for lunch.  Then it was off to her doctor's appointment and shopping at Costco.  It is always so much fun to watch people who haven't been there for a couple years or are there for the first time.

Got home just before darkness settled in.  Again, I am sure I dug the ruts in our driveway a little deeper.  It was warm Up Here with a high of 34.

Tuesday 11/19.  Wait a minute!  Weren't the Halloween costumes just coming out in the stores?!  Now Starbucks is using their red holiday cups, eggnog is in the stores, and Thanksgiving is next week.  Yum!  I love the taste of the holidays!  

My bladder woke me up at 2:00 am.  Didn't need to feed the fire.  Wasn't cold enough.  The wind kept me and Dinga awake, so I got up and fixed a cup of cocoa with eggnog, and read one of the newspapers.  Finally back to bed at 3:30 am.  Dinga does not like the wind and will come snuggle between us on the bed when it is really blowing.

When I got up again at 8:30 am, it was partly cloudy and 35, which turned out to be our high for the day.  Just a breeze was left from the night's wind.

I defrosted the refrigerator and freezer while reading the magazines and papers.  Then washed my lingerie in my hand washer and put them in the washing machine for just a rinse and spin.  That saves a lot of water and time running the generator.  I did the first load of wash since July on Saturday when the wind was really blowing, which somehow causes water to back up into the bath tub.  Go figure.

Had to get outside after lunch, so the dogs and I went for a hike up to the peak.  The breeze had turned so icy that my cheeks ached by the time we returned.  I brought in the firewood, and took a quick walk to the north ridge.  Too cold with the wind coming up the canyon to stay there.  I went back inside to warm up, then a little later JB took the dogs for their afternoon walk.

By the time we had dinner, the temperature had fallen to 27.  It's going to be a cold night.  The forecast for Friday Down There is 19 for a high.  We are usually 10 to 12 degrees cooler that they are. . .

Wednesday 11/20.  It is clear and 15 this morning.  Brrrr!  JB is leaving Friday morning to visit his Mother and help his brother with a winery event Saturday evening.  He will return home on Sunday and pick up our turkey.  With the cold settling in, our muddy road should be fairly frozen and easily transversed.

Thought for the day:  If things get better with age, I'm nearing perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment