Monday, November 25, 2013

Nov 25, 2013 Busy, Busy Weekend

The deer we saw on our Friday
morning walk.
RJ's bottle wall















Friday 11/22. JB left at 9:00 am as he had planned.  Even with such a cold temperature (10), his breath did not show as he carried his gear to the Jeep.  Must be the complete lack of moisture in the air.

The varied thrush are back.  Ten degrees and these little guys are Up Here feeding!

I hope the dogs appreciated my sacrifice of leaving our cozy, warm cabin to take them on their morning walk.  We saw a deer down the south slope of the south ridge, which really made it all worth the effort.  A very light overcast was forming and my cheeks were rosy cold when we got back.  I also brought in a load of wood.  Am using the sled for the wood now as it glides nicely over the frozen ground.  On Wednesday, I finished the first row of wood in the wood shed.  The first two rows are about two feet shorter than the next five rows.

And speaking of frozen ground, I am sure that is why it seems colder than the thermometer indicates.  The cold is radiating up from the ground, not just from the surrounding air.  Our high for the day was 20.

Classmates.com finally snookered my into joining for two years with their half-off sale.  Kind of fun to check up on fellow classmates, even though I hated high school.  I was such a shy little mouse.

I worked on Christmas cards all day, with a nice respite when our neighbor to the south came to visit. Chatted and caught up for more than an hour.  Very enjoyable.

I had leftovers for dinner and spent the evening in the loft making more Christmas cards.  When I finally went to bed, I set the alarm for 2:00 am to feed the fire.

Saturday 11/23.  I was up at 7:00 am to prepare breakfast for RJ.  Baked a banana coffee cake which I served along with bacon and eggs.  We had a very nice, leisurely chat and I planned to go down and see what he's been working on in the afternoon.

It was another clear, cold morning with a temperature of 10, but it had warmed to up 18 by the time I took the dogs for their morning walk.  Once again I spent most of the day in the loft making Christmas cards.  I have used up all the old cards that will fit on the new ones and am creating from scratch.

I drove down to RJ's cabin at about 12:30 pm on the short cut.  Very easy to go up and down with everything frozen.  I spent a couple hours there visiting and checking out his major change.  He had spiral stairs winding around the middle pole in his living room going up to the little loft.  Unfortunately they blocked out most of the light coming from the loft windows.  So he took out that middle pole, and moved the stairway to the side.  Now the room is bright and seems three times as big!  And, no, taking out the middle pole will not be a problem with the roof as he has plenty of support in other places and all the support beams meet around the top of the pole which is still there.

After dinner I watched Narnia: Prince Caspian.  Entertaining, even if not as well done as the first Narnia movie.

Sunday 11/24.  Having a heat wave this morning - 17 degrees out there!  And clear, of course.  No moisture in the forecast until next weekend.  Since I really did no chores yesterday, I hit the floor running today.  Washed the dishes, did laundry, wrapped JB's presents, vacuumed and generally cleaned house.  Sandy called and chatted for more than a half hour.  A great start to my day.

JB arrived home about 2:00 pm after running some errands in town.  He also had a good weekend and both events at the winery were a huge success.

Monday 11/25.  It's even warmer this morning - 20!  Dinga was very restless during the night and kept waking up JB, so I got up at 7:00 am and made the coffee before blogging.  He slept in until 8:00 am.  

Just have about 10 more cards to make, which I will finish today.  Then tomorrow I have to go Down There for a few groceries and craft supplies.

Thought for the day:  We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.  Charles Kingsley   

No comments:

Post a Comment