Monday, November 4, 2013

Nov 4, 2013 A Busy Weekend

Tree that fell across RJ's road.
Valley fog on Saturday.
















Friday 11/1.  JB didn't get to enjoy a relaxing birthday after all.  We decided it would behoove us to get the tracks on MAX today, since there is snow in the forecast for the weekend above 3000 ft.  It took us four hours to get everything out; take the tires off (all six of them); put a drive chain back on that had somehow come off; figure out why the chain came off and fix it; put the extenders on; put the smaller tires on (all six of them); and, finally, get the tracks on the tires.  This was all accomplished without the cussing and yelling of previous years.  Maybe we are finally learning. . .

Our high for the day was 43, which is good weather in which to work.  Cool enough so you don't work up a sweat and warm enough so your hands do not get cold, but it will be at least a couple weeks before I get all the grease out from under my fingernails.

We are using up the last of the junk wood for the fire in the wood stove.  Just takes a little more effort, as we have to feed the fire more often, but it's a good way to get rid of it and the short end pieces we always have.

For the first time ever we ran out of minutes on our phone service, three days early.  At $.45/minute, I won't be answering my phone until tomorrow.  Of course we ended up having to make three calls today, one for a question about fixing the chain problem on MAX.

I saw an article in a recent Time magazine about all the different types of cameras in the new smart phones which made me feel very outmoded.  I saw our son's smart phone when he was here and the many good quality photos he had on it.  My Dad was quite the photographer, for the family and the U.S. Forest Service.  I doubt he would have liked digital as it just doesn't have the color and depth that film does.  Personally I love the ease and cost savings of digital.  There is no way I could have the thousands of pictures I do if I was using film.  But I will just stay with my handy little Canon, as I doubt I will ever own a smart phone.

And speaking of new and old items, the new issue of Smithsonian magazine is completely devoted to "101 Objects that Made America."  It is fascinating.

Saturday 11/2.  It was 32 with fog and rain when JB left at 7:00 am for his Forest Health seminar.  The rain had begun falling about 2:30 am.  Back to bed I went and when I awoke again at 8:30 am, the rain had stopped and the fog had receded down into the canyons and valleys.  The sun was shining through a gap in the clouds when the dogs and I went for our 10:30 am walk, but by 11:00 am another rain squall had moved in.  Just a short one though, as by noon the sun was out again and the forecast wind had arrived.  It kept the clouds moving quickly past us as they tried to drop their snow load.  Our high for the day was only 34.  It was a good day to do all the indoor chores I had for the day.

I vacuumed and baked a banana coffee cake for dessert for RJ's birthday dinner this evening.  While it was in the oven, I had to run outside and rescue the tarps from the snow blower and MAX that the wind had ripped off.  Got the one back on the snow blower, but there was no way one person could get MAX covered back up in that wind.  The highest wind gust for Down There today was 51 mph and I am sure we had such gusts Up Here too.

I made a big dish of scalloped potatoes and ham, along with broccoli with cheese sauce, and left at 4:30 pm for RJ's cabin.  JB was going to meet me there after his seminar, but called to say he was just too tired and would go straight home after running a couple of errands in town.  The drive down to RJ's was a bit dicey, but that is what a Jeep is built for.  About halfway up RJ's road, I had to pull a tree out of the way that had fallen across the road.  Fortunately it was dead, so it wasn't too heavy.  Had a great visit with everyone and stayed about 1-1/2 hours.  I wanted to get home by the time darkness fell.

JB was had just taken off his coat after unloading his car when I arrived home.  The seminar was in a classroom in the morning, then after lunch, they all went into the forest.  It rained all day there and he got a bit chilled, but it was definitely worth all the information he received.  He took copious notes and was given a big stack of handouts.  

We were both worn out from our day and were in bed by 8:00 pm!

Sunday 11/3.  It was clear and 23 this morning when we finally arose at 7:00 am, which was really 8:00 am by yesterday's time, so we had 12 hours sleep!  Thought we might wake up to a white landscape, but no such luck.

The dogs always have a hard time with the Fall time change.  They are just sure we have forgotten to feed them.  I try to make it gradual, but Jesse's clock is to the minute.

We spent a lazy morning reading papers and magazines that JB brought home with the mail yesterday.  On days like this you can hardly see the top of the kitchen table.

After lunch we put air in MAX's tires and used the jack to lift him off the pieces of wood and back onto the ground.  So glad we got everything else done on Friday, as today's high was just 34 and it was still breezy.  Way too cold to be out working very long.

One of the magazines we received is a local one entitled The Good Life which is one of my favorites.  It is all about people and places in the Wenatchee area and is quite fascinating.

Tomorrow we have to go Down There to drop off my Jeep for some overdue work that needs to be done around the 90 - 100,000 mile range.  Hey, that's what Visa is for, right?  We spend the winter paying off everything we have spent the rest of the year.

We will pick up my Jeep on Tuesday, then JB will drive his Jeep home and I will go on to do laundry and some grocery shopping.  Will be so glad with this going Down There is done for the season and I can hibernate.

Monday 11/4.  Blue sky and 17 this morning.  Brrrr!  The Cascades are shining proudly in their new white cape.  Not looking forward to the COLD trip Down There this morning.  I'd rather be sitting by the wood stove.

Thought for the day:  I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it.  Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment