Friday, November 22, 2013

Nov 22, 2013 Deer & Cougars and Bobcats, Oh My!

Fall colors in the Wenatchee River Valley,
as seen from our north ridge.

Wednesday 11/20.  Since JB won't be Up Here on Sunday morning, he made muffins, eggs, and bacon for breakfast this morning.  We eased into the day and did the dishes after he took the dogs for their morning walk.

After lunch he drove his Jeep down the frozen driveway to get the game cam card.  So many deer on it, including a buck with a 3x3 rack.  AND two cougars (probably the same one twice) and a bobcat!  No wonder the dogs have been going nuts lately.

Our high for the day was 20, so it was a good day to be inside making Christmas cards.  I always start with the kids' cards because they are so much more challenging.  Of course they probably don't really look at the card once they discover there is $5 in it. . .

Fascinating new Mary Jane's Farm and National Geographic magazines, as usual.  There is an interesting article in Mary Jane's about winter health and how connecting to the earth for just twenty minutes a day can make such a positive difference.  Time magazine has a section devoted to the year's top 25 inventions which are quite incredible.

We watched the movie, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, this evening and were both riveted the entire time.  So very well done, and makes those people whose lives were directly affected by 9/11 so much more real.

Thursday 11/21.  It is all of 11 degrees this morning with a glacial blue sky.  I set the alarm for 1:00 am and got up to feed the fire.  Set the alarm again for 5:00 am for JB's turn, but he actually got up at 4:15 am to let the dogs out.  So glad it was his turn because Jesse stayed out until 6:30 am!  I let JB sleep in and I got up at 7:30 am to make coffee and greet the day.

Our resident frog was serenading us this morning.  I would have thought with these temperatures that he would be huddled down and hibernating.

I continued making Christmas cards.  Am into the adult cards now and they are all going to be different this year.  They are usually the same, but I am recycling old cards into new ones and am having a lot of fun doing it.  Just hope I don't send one to someone who previously sent it to me. . .

JB actually went outside this afternoon and started up all the vehicles.  He put some anti gel additive in the tractor and got it going.  Seems diesel engines are quite different from the standard gasoline ones.  He also got packed and ready to leave first thing in the morning.  Our high for the day was just 20 again.

RJ is at his cabin for a few days and will come up to have breakfast with me Saturday morning.

Larry and Elsie have invited us to Thanksgiving dinner again this year, which I so appreciate.  Am really looking forward to it and will bake a pumpkin something to take.  This year we will be able to drive my Jeep down to their place, instead of MAX like we had to do last year.  We have dry weather in the forecast for all week long.  Very cold, but very dry.

Friday 11/22.  OMG!  It is only 10 degrees this morning and the sky is still an icy blue.  I feel like I'm an icy blue, even though it is cozy inside.  And that is only because I got up twice to feed the fire.  At least JB will have dry roads on his journey to west of the mountains.  He has to go over two mountain passes to get there.  I plan to stay inside and finish my Christmas cards, and feed the fire.

Thought for the day:  It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.  Garrison Keillor

No comments:

Post a Comment